Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Redundancy.

Redundancy.  A word that has been hanging over our head for a year or so, Han has watched many desks empty out, their spaces a void that has been felt, tinged with relief that it wasn't our turn this time.  The earth turns again, we are safe.

Wednesday, it was our turn.  As my phone rang I laughingly joked with a friend that the only time Han rings me during the day is to give me another task or bad news.  As he stuttered out the words the smile was quickly wiped from my face.  The earth turns, we are no longer safe.

We are the lucky ones.  I, as a registered nurse am able to be flexible with work and have been able to secure more work in the near future.  It will be a joy to have Han home and spend time as a family that many people only dream of.  We had a nice nest egg saved for the renovation of our home that will provide a cushion if it is needed.  Our family are healthy, our two expat stints have taught us that we can rely on each other and a resilience has been forged within us, I have complete faith that we will be ok.

If this is the worst to come our way, I will be grateful.


5 comments:

  1. So sorry Alanah :( I hope he finds something soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! We are certainly on the lookout, so hopefully something will turn up soon.

      Delete
  2. Larns - I hope you are both ok. I remember when I was made redundant 2 weeks before our wedding.. it was a shock, but it all worked out in the end. Han is talented and highly experienced, so I hope he is able to find another role soon.
    Love always x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine the stress you felt Jenn! We were very lucky that his company kept him on for as long as they did.

      Delete
  3. Oh dear. I'm so sorry to hear this. It must be unbelievably stressful for your family.

    ReplyDelete